Thursday, March 3, 2011

Shall we call it "The Master Cleanse?"

I wish this was what they call "nesting", but that's usually right before you go into labor, and I know I'll be doing this again at least 10 times before then.
Taking a break, I have been cleaning the kids' rooms and doing laundry since 8:30 this morning and I think Mabel's mad cuz this was supposed to be my "relaxing" day, ha relax what's that? Stupid Braxton-Hicks contractions, I swear i have gotten them earlier with every kid, they started this time around at about 6 months, and are getting progressively worse and making it progressively harder to keep hauling laundry baskets up and down the stairs. I need an elevator. Or a maid. Or maybe an episode of Wife-Swap. I'd really like to know how other people do it when you go to their houses and they are completely spotless and don't even look lived in.
One good thing about cleaning the kids' rooms while they are at school, I can get rid of whhhhatttever I want. Mom Power! I was actually running (as fast as I can run, right lol) to throw some stuff in the garbage can  before the trash guy got here so it would be gone by the time they get home. The whole "I'm gonna throw out your stuff if you don't pick it up", is reverse psychology totally on my part. Usually I don't actually put much in the Goodwill pile while they are gone, they just "think" I do because it put it in a garbage bag and hide it. When there is really a lot I want to get rid of, I do it when they're home and fighting me to clean their rooms and can see me getting rid of their stuff, because I swear I have three of the worst "picker-upper" kids ever. I don't know where I went wrong, but I get an "F" in that department. Jake will literally spend an entire saturday moping around his room when all I really want him to do is pick up 2 bins of trains and his dirty clothes. There has been more than once where they have all marched willingly to bed at 7 o clock because they would rather GO TO BED than spend a half hour cleaning their rooms. Maybe this is karma from when I was a kid coming back to bite me in the ass... They have tons of shelves, bins, nice big closets, etc, and they just do not GET that if you put it away as soon as you're done, it's a lot easier.
I think Jake is the worst as far as coercing him into doing it. Holly is just a pack-rat, her room looks like an episode of "Hoarders". She has to keep every single drawing, sticker, happy meal toy, etc. She will usually be talked into cleaning it up, but not with a "You're the worst mother EVER", at the end followed by a door slam. Eric is usually easily convinced, sometimes he even makes an effort to clean up his room on his own, mostly because he likes to rearrange the furniture. The problem is that Jake doesn't want to help him, and that's not really fair, so Im always working on that problem. His bigger problem is remembering to put away his stuff in the front yard that he drags out.
I need to note this with Mabel- start teaching her to put away her toys as soon as she can hold a rattle haha. They always say, you know, you start with #1, and make less mistakes with each kid, some I am figuring Mabel has a good chance of being near perfect....
Now who wants to come over and clean out my oven?!

No comments:

Post a Comment