Sunday, March 6, 2011

The past is a ghost, the future a dream, and all we ever have is now. - Bill Cosby

Sitting here waiting for our supper to get out of the oven and Holly is reading to me outloud from one of her Junie B Jones books. Her reading  skills really amaze me, even though she is a little older than the other kids in her class. I'm pretty sure I was in second grade before I started reading longer books, and it took me until this year to get Eric to read anything. He is now finally into reading his "Boxcar Children" books, and his teacher says he's a really fast reader. Go figure, Ha I wonder where he gets it! Not from his dad, lol. I always give Adam crap about how he didn't know Little House on the Prairie was based on the Laura Ingalls books,  because he never read the books when he was a kid. He thought Melissa Gilbert was the "real" Laura Ingalls.  Jake gets kindof mad at times and easily frustrated "Mom I can't read ANYthing". Well he is only 5,  but he wants to keep up with Holly of course. Getting them to read and love books at an early age is super-important to me, because I know it will affect everything else they do in school, and the things you can learn from books is neverending. Our favorite book store is this half-price used bookstore in town, and we usually go about once a week and spend an afternoon picking out stuff there. They have an awesome variety, and very low-cost, i usually end up selling my own books back there once or twice a month also to get store credit. We were going to go today, but the kids were playing outside with their neighbor friends, and the afternoon got away from us fast.
             Funny kid of the day award to Jake. We ran to what I like to call the "cheapo" store earlier (the one I go to because I just need one or two things, and the store is so small I can usually have Eric run in.) On the way home I kindof said to myself  "now where's that damn garage door opener?", because Eric found the garage door openers this afternoon (go figure, I haven't even seen one in the year we have lived here and he finds them in five minutes.) All of a sudden I heard Jake go from the backseat "Yeah, where's that damn garage door opener?!" It was so funny, the look on his face like even HE didn't realize what he'd said.   Then when we were making supper, they all had to have a job, so eric did the ranch chicken, holly set the table, and Jake helped make the noodles. After we were done, Jake kind of gave me this hinty look. "Mo-om, aren't you going to give me some money now?" HAHa! Well eric earns a lot of money doing chores and working at his grandpa's shop, so he buys a lot of his own stuff. Jake and Holly never usually have money when we go to the store, but they will ask for EVERYthing, and I tell them they need to start doing chores and earning money.  Jake doesn't really get the value of a dollar yet though, he did get some money in a card for valentine's day, and then when we went to the other grandparents house, my grandma was going to give him a dollar and he said "I don't want it, I already have one." He doesn't get that having more is better lol.
           I love the fact that my kids remember EVERYthing. like they still say "Remember when we went to Chattanooga and it took seven days to get there?" (riiight, it was 17 hours.) "Remember when we went to the beach and there was NO WATER? (hahaha it was the end of the year and we didn't know they had already started draining the lake lol) My favorite from Holly "Remember when Taylor hooked me in the eye with his fishing hook?" (yikes....I hope she eventually forgets that one!) I hope this means they will have lots of fun memories of stuff we did when they get older. I am always on a quest for a new (and cheap!) adventure to take them on, and I'm sure we will be dragging Mabel all over with us with summer. They're easy to please, even if it's just walking the woods at the nature center, or the free "project" workshops at Lowes on saturday mornings, they act like it's the greatest thing in the world.  "Keep em busy, keep em out of trouble".....
           Adam's on the way home (again), I should blast him because he went right to the Pumphouse before even coming home, but since he was just here yesterday I won't :P  Poor guy, I know he was prolly drooling as he was driving, in anticipation of the nice cold beer he has been unable to have for 7 days...

No comments:

Post a Comment