Monday, March 28, 2011

its amazing what kids will do for money

So starting tonight I decided to try something new with the kids regarding their "chores" and money.  We'll see how long it works, it seems like everything only works for so long and I'm always having to come up with something new. They helped me make a chore list, and then they decided how much money each chore would be worth and we hung it on the fridge. Also, we taped "bank" envelopes to the other side of the fridge for each of them so they don't keep losing their dollars. A lot of this stems from the fact that Eric earns a lot of money doing things, and the other two definitely don't understand the value of working for your money yet, but when we go somewhere, ugh, they are always want to pick out stuff and it leads to the "did you bring your money? well then you can't get it," battle. I am usually pretty firm on this, and if they do get to pick something out, it's 1.00 or less. (the bad thing is, Holly has totally conned gramma a bunch of times. Once she came back home with the 17.00 barbie I told her she had to either buy herself or wait for her birthday. As soon as she saw me she got THE guiltiest look on her face...)
They were really into it tonight, scrubbing toilets, swiffering the floor, vaccuuming, etc, but we'll see how long it lasts. I really want them to understand not only that I appreciate their help, but we ALL live here, and we all have to help. The dissarray is getting out of control, and I always think of it as yeah, being mom and cleaning is one thing, but having to physically pick up the crap of four other people just because they're too stubborn to do it is totally another, and it is completely exhausting!                                                    
Tonight the kids and I spent awhile looking at Holly's newborn baby pictures, trying to "guess" what Mabel is going to look like. I had totally forgotten that Holly had a tiny bit of brown hair when she was born, and Eric was only 3, he looks so little. Then Holly said "Mom, you had really blonde hair! Were you wearing a wig?" haha! 4 weeks to go....

No comments:

Post a Comment